New World Notes - Crime Potpourri
This week on New World Notes: radio program #252, January 1, 2013, from 12:00 to 12:30 p.m., host Kenneth Dowst looks at crime on several levels: retail (the Newtown murders), wholesale (the entertainment industry), bigger wholesale (the financial system), and factory-direct (the Federal Government).
- KD's reflections on the Newtown murders and why the proposed new gun-control laws have zero relevance
- a new David Rovics song on the Entertainment Biz
- a short movie by Econ4on the government-assisted crimes of Wall Street
- a good essay by Paul Craig Roberts on Hugo Chavez vs. the Washington DC gang
* Note to broadcast stations: UNbleeped version of the show's audio includes the song lyric, "It's the rich who line their pockets while the rest of us get screwed." The BLEEPed version bleeps out "screwed."
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "boardwalk") of WWUH-FM, a community service of the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both A-Infos Radio Project and (from #90 onwards) the Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chronological listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page; each page has links to the recorded audio; and a handy table of contents will quickly find the installment you want.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want--and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Coming soon (Tuesday air debut dates shown)
January 8 - Glenn Greenwald on our endangered civil liberties (recorded live in New Britain, December 8)
Catch New World Notes (all times Eastern):
Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT)
Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WAPJ FM 89.9 and 105.1 (Torrington, CT)
Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID)
Any time: Listen to or download any installment. Just go to New World Notes and click a link to the audio at the top of the page. (Every installment has a page on the Web site, and every page has links to the audio.)