New World Notes - Glenn Greenwald on Edward Snowden, NSA Spying, and the Hypocrisy of the Press
This week on New World Notes: radio program #316, March 25, 2014, from 12:00 to 12:30 p.m. (and on Wednesday from 8:30 to 9:00 p.m.), host Kenneth Dowst acknowledges the work of journalist Glenn Greenwald.
Greenwald brought to light the story of Edward Snowden and the US government's top-secret program of spying on every American. In this week's show, Greenwald talks about Snowden and about the government's surveillance, assault on civil liberties, and hypocrisy about leaks.
And he talks about the disgraceful behavior of the US "mainstream" news media--dedicated to serving those power rather than holding them accountable.
With an introduction by KD, reflecting on the news media's unanimous and unceasing Putin-bashing since before the Olympics.
Greenwald's words are taken from a video interview conducted in Rio de Janeiro in November 2013.
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "unisex bathroom") of WWUH-FM, a community service of the University of Hartford.
WHUS 91.7 (Storrs, CT) has changed its program schedule. The station now broadcasts New World Notes on Fridays at 10:30 AM. See the complete schedule.
New World Notes is now carried by nonprofit, community-supported station WGIG-FM 104.9 in Modesto, California and also on KHCF-FM, in Gilroy, California; and by WAZU-FM in Peoria, Illinois. See listings, below, for details.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both A-Infos Radio Project and (from #90 onwards) the Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chronological listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page; each page has links to the recorded audio; and a handy table of contents will quickly find the installment you want.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want--and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Catch New World Notes (all times Eastern):
- Sundays, 12:30 to 1:00 PM, WIEC-LP, FM 102.7 (Eau Claire, WI)
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT); also on WAPJ FM 89.9 and 105.1 (Torrington, CT), WJDW FM 89.7 (Somers, CT), and WWEB FM 89.9 (Wallingford, CT)
- Tuesdays, 8:30 to 9:00 PM, WWUH FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT)
- Fridays, 10:30 to 11:00 AM, WHUS FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT)
- Saturdays, 8:00 to 8:30 AM, WAZU FM 90.7 (Peoria, IL) & online. Repeats Mondays at 12:30 AM.
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID)
- Various days & times (multiple times per week), KGIG FM 104.9 (Modesto, CA) & online. Same on KHCF FM 89.9 (Gilroy, CA).
Any time: Listen to or download any installment. Just go to New World Notes and click a link to the audio at the top of the page. (Every installment has a page on the Web site, and every page has links to the audio.)