New World Notes - Obey and Keep Calm (Part 2 of 2)
First a few words about our government's Syria war-fever--a fever that (to the annoyance of our nominal "leaders") the U.S. public decidedly does not share. Then we'll read a new, short essay by Indian journalist Chidanand Rajghatta, "Why America Cannot Live Without Wars." (This essay first appeared in the Times of India and has been edited and condensed for radio.)
And then on to Temujin Doran's new film, Obey: How the Rise of Mass Propaganda Killed Populism. It's about the military, political, and economic crimes of the Corporate State. It features readings from from Chris Hedges' 2010 book, Death of the Liberal Class.
In this week's installment, Hedges paints a bleak view of the near future. He celebrates the rebel, urges people to rebel--and explains several reasons why the rebellion must be nonviolent.
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "inflexible deadlines") of WWUH-FM, a community service of the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both A-Infos Radio Project and (from #90 onwards) the Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chronological listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page; each page has links to the recorded audio; and a handy table of contents will quickly find the installment you want.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want--and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Catch New World Notes (all times Eastern):
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT)
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WAPJ FM 89.9 and 105.1 (Torrington, CT)
- Fridays, 6:00 to 6:30 PM, WHUS FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT) & http://www.whus.org/
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID)
Any time: Listen to or download any installment. Just go to New World Notes and click a link to the audio at the top of the page. (Every installment has a page on the Web site, and every page has links to the audio.)
Recent shows include:
- #287 - Obey and Keep Calm, Part 1
- #286 - The Costs of Empire, Part 2
- #285 - The Costs of Empire, Part 1
- #284 - Surveillance Then and Now
- #283 - Dog Day Afternoon at the Movies
- #282 - More Things Fall Apart